Visual Studio keeps a list of recent projects and files in a recent list that shows when you first open Visual Studio. There are many reasons you might want to eliminate one or more items from this list.
- You removed a project/file and don’t want it to show in the list anymore.
- You moved to a new source control layout and the project locations changed.
- The list got too large and unwieldy.
So, here is how you remove or edit items in the list.
IMPORTANT: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE EDITING IT (How?)!
- Click on Start -> Run (or just type in the box on Vista and later).
- Type RegEdit and click OK.
- Navigate to…
- Files: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Visual Studio\10.0\FileMRUList.
- Proj: HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Visual Studio\10.0\ProjectMRUList.
- Note, your version (10.0) might be different depending on VS version.
- Close the registry editor.
I hope that helps! If you like this post or have questions, please feel free to leave me a comment.